Practicum Experience

(Written by Jon Malote)

Hello Wolfpack family and friends. It has been a few months since the last post but I am excited to be sharing more of the NC State Jenkins MAC experience with you! I certainly hope that you all enjoyed the holidays, and are looking forward to what 2021 has to bring. I wanted to share some of the unique experiences I have been able to take part in as a MAC student this semester.

My ERM practicum course has us apply the ERM principles and methods we learned last fall in a real world setting. I am currently working alongside a group of my MAC peers along with Bonnie Hancock as our faculty mentor to aid a publicly traded company in the monitoring and communication phase of their ERM cycle. Because our partner company is a large player in the CRO and CCO industry, I find myself having to apply other skills learned throughout my other MAC classes in order to gain a working understanding of their business and industry. Notably, the time we spent becoming familiarized with SEC filings such as 10-Ks, 10-Qs and proxy statements was a huge help during this process.

Just recently, we had the opportunity to introduce ourselves along with our ERM practicum efforts to the company’s ERM Steering Committee. Although this was done through Zoom, it was still a valuable opportunity to practice my presentation skills in front of a diverse audience. Currently, my wonderful teammates and I are running mini-workshops with the ERM Steering Committee members guiding them through a questionnaire we created with the help of the company’s director of global risk management. The experience has been a tremendous learning experience so far, and I anticipate that it will continue to stretch both my technical and soft skills. 

I will update you on the project as the semester progresses along with any new or interesting developments here at the MAC pack! Lastly, if you are interested in joining the MAC family, the final application deadline for both online and on campus is on March 1st so be sure to reach out to the always friendly and helpful Jay Arrington with any questions you may have regarding admissions. Other than that I hope you all power through the cold weather and enjoy the rest of your February. See you around, and go Pack!

Best,
Jon

More From Master of Accounting (MAC) Program