My Journey into the Jenkins Online MAC Program

Who am I?

Hello everyone! My name is Sarah and I was born and raised in a small town called Middlesex, North Carolina. I am excited to be sharing my journey in the Online MAC Program over the next few months.

Here is a quick introduction of me. I came to NC State as an undergraduate student set on a career in digital marketing. After completing the required introductory accounting courses, I discovered my love for debits and credits. I added the accounting major after my sophomore year and graduated from NC State in December of 2019. I completed a virtual internship with PwC this summer and will return to the firm in 2021 as a tax associate. In my free time, I enjoy hiking and trying new recipes.

Fun Fact: I married an NC State alum the day after graduation at the Park Alumni Center on Centennial campus.

Why I chose the Jenkins Online MAC Program

I chose to continue my education at NC State because of the amazing faculty and quality of education I received during my undergraduate degree. During my time as an undergraduate accounting student, every professor welcomed me during office hours, responded to my emails in a timely manner, and gave me excellent career advice when I needed it most.

From this experience, I knew I would be more than a name turning in assignments and watching recordings as an online student. I knew the professors would do their best to have “face to face” time and create an online learning environment that was effective and inclusive, while fitting in with my personal life. I chose to complete the MAC program online because it enabled me to meet my educational goals while being with my husband, who is in a rotational work program. I hope to visit campus when possible over the next two semesters!

Over one week in!

We are officially over one week in and have already completed a data analytics bootcamp. The data analytics bootcamp was completely online for both on-campus and online students. During the “bootcamp” we practiced data wrangling, utilized data visualization software, and worked in teams to complete various cases. By working in a pre-assigned team, I was able to meet and develop relationships with other students in the online program. The week long program ended with a presentation from Deloitte on data analytics in the accounting industry.

I know the work for the Jenkins MAC Program will not be easy, but am excited for the challenge. I am confident the courses will push me to expound my knowledge and become a better professional. Good luck to each student embarking on this exciting new journey!

More From Master of Accounting (MAC) Program