Halfway Through

Memorial Belltower on a snowy Feb. day.

(Written by Jon Malote)

Finals have wrapped up, and we are officially halfway through the program. We studied for traditional exams and were able to safely polish up our public speaking and presentation skills with a few presentation based finals. Truthfully, I enjoyed the presentation based finals as they incorporated the soft and hard skills necessary to provide a robust analysis and overview of complex issues. It’s something that will undoubtedly aid our skillset as future accounting and business professionals. 

Moving forward, many of us are now preparing to study and sit for a section or two of the CPA exam. Because of our compressed schedule this past semester, we have roughly two months time to enjoy the holidays while preparing for the exam. Personally, I have started studying for BEC and plan to begin REG afterwards. Thankfully, the AICPA, NASBA, and Prometric introduced the continuous testing model in Spring of 2020, which means we as CPA Exam candidates have greater flexibility in planning and taking our exams.

Looking into the final semester, I am excited to continue working with the MAC staff and my fellow peers. My classes for next semester include a trio of data analytics classes built around my ERM concentration, and a project based ERM Practicum where we work with real companies to apply what we have learned thus far. I will also be taking Advanced Audit, Financial Accounting, and Commercial Law courses. Overall, I look forward to building on my foundational accounting and business knowledge, so that I may more competently engage future scenarios in practice. Also nothing beats that “aha!” moment when you finally piece things together.

Aside from that, thank you for taking the time to read my blogs this semester and I want to wish all our MAC family and friends a Happy Holidays and New Year! See you next semester.

Best,

Jon M

More From Master of Accounting (MAC) Program