Between Winter and Summer Lies A Beautiful Spring Semester

Belltower and blossoms on a Spring morning. PHOTO BY ROGER WINSTEAD

Spring semester may be halfway over, but there is still plenty of learning to be done and knowledge to be gained throughout the rest of this busy semester. Whether it’s Advanced Audit, the Enterprise Risk Management (“ERM”) Practicum, or Advanced Commercial Law, spring semester classes in the MAC program surely don’t fall short of providing students with real-world, real-life knowledge and experiences.

Showalter’s Show

Advanced Audit with Professor Showalter could prepare a novice to be a professional auditor. Professor Showalter does an outstanding job of taking the class material and applying it to real-life examples. We have evaluated several case studies in which we are able to apply and understand different parts of the audit process. Through engaging class discussion and rewarding coursework, I have learned a lot about what not to do, what to do, and how I can improve my effectiveness and efficiency as a professional in the accounting world.

Let’s Get Practical

The ERM Practicum with Bonnie Hancock or Mark Beasley allows students the opportunity to go out into the real world and develop and/or enhance ERM processes for several different companies and organizations. By working with a real organization, I have gained experience in working with and presenting to clients and enhanced my risk management skills, which will be particularly useful when I begin my career as a professional auditor.

Accountants Turned Attorneys

Advanced Commercial Law with Professor Carraway equips students with an understanding of commercial law so that we are able to create a solid foundation for ethical business behavior in the professional world. By examining and discussing several court cases and how elements of law apply to those court cases, I feel prepared to use my professional judgment in distinguishing between ethical and unethical behavior. I also have a better comprehension of how to effectively and legally implement business processes and procedures because of the court cases we have discussed in class.

It’s been a great semester so far. Graduation is right around the corner. I will be sure to let you know my final thoughts on the Jenkins MAC experience in my final blog post!

More From Master of Accounting (MAC) Program