From Elon to NC State

Hi, my name is Elizabeth and I am a student in the 2019 MAC Class. I’ll be blogging throughout the year to give you insight on my experience here at NC State. Before the more interesting blogs get posted, I’ll tell you a little more about myself.

Who Am I?

I was born in Victorville, California but raised in Burlington, North Carolina. For those that don’t know where Burlington is, it’s about an hour west of Raleigh. I graduated from Elon University (right next to Burlington) in May with my B.S. in Accounting. When I’m not in school, I enjoy staying busy – whether that be going running, coaching youth soccer, or spending time with friends and family.

Why NC State MAC?

From the age of 5 until I graduated high school, I attended a small, private school. I continued the small school streak when I went to Elon University. 16 years at small schools made me more than ready to attend a bigger school in a bigger city for my Masters. NC State is the biggest school in the state and offered a strong MAC program, so the decision was easy!

What Are My Goals?

I make lists constantly, so I have a ton of goals that I want to accomplish! One of my main goals is to pass all four parts of the CPA exam on my first try before next July – if I do, I’m rewarding myself with a trip around Asia. An overarching goal of my time here is to become a more well-rounded accountant, which I believe the program does with its core curriculum. Lastly, I want to run a road half-marathon in the spring. I already ran a trail race and it’ll make a good stress reliever when classes get hard!

What’s Next?

By the time you’re reading this, we will have officially finished our first month of the program, which means I’ll be busier but hopefully more settled into a routine. I’ll be blogging throughout the semester on courses I’m taking, starting CPA exam review, being a teaching assistant, and different activities I do both in and outside of class!

More From Master of Accounting (MAC) Program